We Love Answering Questions! BRING IT ON.

Q: So what do y'all do with the clothes? Do you sell them? Do they become parts of your wardrobe? Has this project made you dress differently or more arrogantly, if you will? On a side note from all my curiosities; I LOVE this blog. Like, really love it.

                                                                                                                - Leah


A: Ruckus: I'm not sure if you've ever been to my house, but I have clothes packed into every nook and cranny. I'm personally to lazy to sell anything, ever, but if I find something good that I know someone else will like, I'll snatch it. But I'm beyond a clothes horse; clothes Lipizzaner would be more accurate. I have a mountain of clothes the size of K2. This isn't to say that I am exquisitely fancy (as I'm sure you know). So lots of the clothes come home with me. Lots of them don't. I try to be discerning, as in "How many old, stretched out stained t-shirts do you REALLY need?". Say that t-shirt has a funky vintage Nenana ice cream parlour design on it, then I'll take it. I've scored so many badass clothes from the dump, I almost never go to thrift stores anymore.
     Does it make me more arrogant? Oh yeah. Of course. If you can wear trash, and have a few hundred people checking it out every week on your blog, it really opens doors. I used to make fun of Katie for using scraps of fabric for scarves, or pillowcases for clothing, but every time, I mean EVERY time she did, a handful of people would come up to her and compliment her. So if she can get away with that, it's like the sky's the limit. We also tried a shoot with a mirror. Fuck that, what a mistake! We were really critical, and came up with these shitty outfits that did little more than cover our bodies, and spend about 2 hours vetoing everything because it didn't look right. It was so weird, because we're normally in the back of her car, struggling around in our underwear at the local dump, and we just put together stuff that looks good together, that I can cram my ass into. And that really has bled into what I wear on a daily basis. People notice if you wear something ridiculous or fancy- so I am a shitload more arrogant about my clothes these days.

Kface:  Trista commented the other day that my car now smells. She wasn't lying. We stockpile clothing now for shoots...which just feeds my already ridiculous habit of 'shopping' at the dump. I would say I go by the Transfer stations at least 3 times a week...I mean, one is right on the way home! So, whereas before I would grab stuff I thought could fit my body, or fun fabrics to tie around me or sew onto something (as Ruckus mentioned above) about once a week, I now grab things I think would fit her too...or, even better, have started stock piling for the post were we get to include MALE MODELS. 
     Out of every shoot we do, I'd say I keep ONE item. Sometimes it is nothing, Last shoot, I kept two pairs of shoes. Most of the stuff though, We just simply take pictures in, and leave for someone else to come show love to :D I, like Trista, have WAY too many clothes as it is...and can say that the breakdown (including accessories and shoes) is about 45 % dump finds, 25% thrift stores, 15% first time buys (mostly shoes...or earrings) and 15% clothing swaps/exchanges from friends. I am constantly weeding things out though, and making piles 'to go to dump' and 'to save for clothing exchange'. It's pretty amazing to have an ever changing wardrobe! 
     ...and, I think I basically answered this, but has it changed the way I dress? Not really...these habits were acquired not TOO long ago (upon moving to Alaska, and being a natural hoarder) but once I realized I could get for FREE what people were paying hard $$$ for...my spending habits subsided a GOOD deal...and I become more original. I'd say that's a pretty awesome win-win, eh? 
     Finally, just a general THANKS Leah, and everyone else who keeps checking in on a regular basis! We are glad you love what we are doing, because man O' Man, we sure have fun with it!

Comments

Popular Posts